First, let me just preface this by saying I can’t cook, nor do I consider myself a baker! In other words, my husband didn’t marry me for my “skills” in the kitchen! LOL I figure, I can read, so surely I can cook or bake, right? Is it really that easy? I really should try more recipes! I hope to try much more cooking and baking once we get into our own place again (we live with my in-laws).
Last week, I had the idea in my head to make banana bread. My son loves bananas, but sometimes he doesn’t. That usually means that if we have bananas on hand and he doesn’t eat them, I freeze them to add to my smoothies or shakes.
I bought all the ingredients needed to make banana bread a few days ago and then had to wait for the bananas to ripen! Today was the perfect day to make them since I was bored and the bananas were ready! Here is a picture of the finished product:
I had my husband slice the bread, since he is better at that than I am. He ended up loving the bread! He said “it was good” which means a lot! Although, he isn’t too picky on food, as long as it is edible. If he didn’t like it, he would have said so.
Here is the recipe that I used. I did substitute the flour for whole wheat flour and sugar for brown sugar. You can also add chocolate chips or walnuts.
Banana Bread with Cinnamon Applesauce
Prep: 10 mins – Cooking time: 50 mins – Yields: 1 loaf
* 3 ripe bananas
* 2 C flour
* 1 C sugar
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* ½ C cinnamon apple sauce (naturally sweeten)
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350°, spray loaf pan with cooking spray
2. Mash bananas with a potato masher or a fork, set aside (I like to keep it on the chunky side because I like little bits of banana floating in my bread)
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda in medium bowl
4. Add cinnamon apple sauce, eggs, vanilla and bananas (and nuts if using) to flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until well combined, do not overmix
5. Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake on center oven rack for 50 mins – 60 mins (until inserted tooth pick comes out clean)
6. Let cool in pan for 5 mins and then cool bread on cooling rack
© 2011, Beauty Brite. All rights reserved.